Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Introspectives: To vote or not to vote?

To vote or not to vote that is the question... Sure as a citizen of the United States it's my right to vote but is it my obligation? What if I question the very foundation and system that I am voting into? How I am then making a difference if I am simply voting for something that will never change regardless? These are questions that I face and are hard to ignore. Just to vote to vote because it's my "civic" duty doesn't seem right. I really don't like how I am faced with the decision to decide between two parties. Sure their are other parties you can cast your vote for but voting say, "independent" would be a wasted vote because the likelihood of them getting the majority of votes is extremely low. What I hear from people is if you vote third party you are giving away or wasting your vote since the two major parties will only get real consideration anyway. This also bothers me because then I feel like I am forced to use my vote for a candidate I don't support just because I have to vote for the "lesser of two evils". Am I being Illogical here? I believe in democracy and that it should be for the people by the people. But from my observations in this political process of America it seems to be for the corporations and lobbyists not for the "people". I shouldn't have to be faced with this dilemma as an American, it should be an honest and direct process. But it seems the political lines have been blurred.

If you don't vote you'll often hear the phrase, "You can't have an opinion then if you don't participate in voting." I am American born citizen I have every right to voice my opinions about this country, it doesn't come down to just voting as to if you have a say in things I feel. Voting is a right and a freedom, not a law. I work and pay taxes which is pretty much investing into our government if you think about it doesn't that give me any say at least?

No comments:

Post a Comment